Let's Roll: A Guide to Setting up Tabletop Role-Playing Games in your School or Public Library (Paperback)
Master all the skills you need to deliver a tabletop role-playing game program in the library!
For librarians or teachers who aren't players themselves, the scope of role-playing games can seem overwhelming. Starting from the basics, Let's Roll is a practical guide to delivering a tabletop role-playing game (TTRPG) in a school or public library, all within the time constraints imposed on library sessions. Coverage includes:
- a step-by-step guide to setting up a TTRPG program in your school or public library, including an example of a TTRPG proposal;
- advice on bringing senior management on board to a TTRPG program;
- how to attract players, basic table rules, and preparing as a game master;
- the health and learning benefits of TTRPGs including creativity, teamwork, cooperation, boosting confidence, and encouraging reading; and
- a comprehensive list of TTRPG games and how to implement them.
Featuring case studies from librarians around the world focusing on their experiences setting up TTRPGs, Let's Roll will help librarians, teachers, and other educators deliver an engaging program that delivers significant benefits on a budget – and is a huge amount of fun!
About the Author
Originally from Nova Scotia, Canada, Lucas Maxwell has been working with teens in public and school libraries for close to fifteen years. He is currently the librarian at Glenthorne High School in London, UK. He writes for Book Riot and has contributed to School Library Journal and American Library Association publications. In 2017, Lucas was named the School Librarian of the Year by the UK's School Library Association.
"This is a well-organized title with very specific strategies for success and a gentle, conversational tone ... Recommended for any school or public library professional who has felt trepidation about introducing an RPG program."
— School Library Journal